mount_smb shows no files

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Wed Mar 7 16:52:24 UTC 2007

We are starting to use mount_smbfs to mount backup shares on our Windows
XP systems. Formerly we were using Linux successfully, but now many of our
mounts succeed, but don't show any files.  We can't tell what might be
different among the XP systems to explain the difference, or why FreeBSD
and Linux should be different in this regard.

Demonstration (note that "ls /mnt" shows no files, but there are files):

backup2# mount_smbfs //backup at rm316/backup /mnt
Password:
backup2# ls /mnt
backup2# df /mnt
Filesystem            1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
//BACKUP at RM316/BACKUP  36659328 13238176 23421152    36%    /mnt
backup2# mount_smbfs -v
mount_smbfs: version 1.1.0
backup2# uname -a
FreeBSD backup2 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12 10:40:27
UTC 2007 root at dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Thanks

Daniel Feenberg
feenberg isat nber dotte org