started getting repeated "bge0: PHY read timed out" messages

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed Mar 7 04:55:56 UTC 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 5:08 PM, Michael K. Smith - Adhost wrote:

> Have you looked at the output of 'netstat -i' to see if there are
> interface errors?  Also, have you looked at the switch-side interface
> for errors, buffer problems, etc. (if that's possible)?  Finally, have
> you swapped ports/cables on the switch?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike

Hi Mike

Right now it seems to be behaving.  netstat -i shows no issues and  I
have not had the problem recur again once I forced it from auto
negotiation which ended up at 1000tx full duplex to now be 100tx at
full duplex.  I don't know if it is related to the problem or not or
is a coincidence that once I did that the problem has not arisen.  It
happened about 3 times today before forcing the connection to be 100tx.

If it starts to happen again I will try and log in to the console and
do the netstat -i then...

In the morning I will break out my powerbook and get the switch port
assignments off a chart I have there so I can log in to the switch
and check the port for errors.

I have not swapped ports/cables on the switch this time around but
have had the exact same symptoms on a server with the same HW that
was using different cables and a different switch...  I may swap
cables but the machine is downtown and I am not so unless I cannot
make progress I want to avoid going downtown :-)

I may swap the mainboard if it happens again to see if it is HW.   I
have one or two spare mainboards of the same sort.

Thanks!
Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC