Firefox only runs as root--help!

DAK GHATIKACHALAM dakfreebsd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 00:05:17 UTC 2007

On 3/2/07, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum <bg271828 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is a resend of something i sent to the freebsd-gnome list a few days
> ago, but there wer no answers and i think its a real problem, so i hope
> no one minds.
>
> I have a new install of FreeBSD 6.2, and installed Gnome 2.16 and other
> things, including Firefox 2.0, from Ports.
>
> Firefox only runs as root. Every time. I Googled and saw that in an early
> version there was a problem that it had to be run the _first_ time as root
> but after that it was OK, but thats not the problem here--it ONLY runs as
> root all the time. If I type "firefox" on the command line it
> just immediately returns to the command line, no error messages
> of any sort, nothing in /var/log/messages.

I had the same issue when I first made firefox,
probability is the your $HOME/.mozilla directory is owned by root with only
or no read permissions to other users.

firefox read. creates all of its data in that directory by default, so you
may want to login as root
and do

find / -name ".mozilla" -type d  -exec ls -ld {} \;

That will show all the directories  that are .mozilla once you figured
which your $HOME's .mozilla

you can issue chown user:group .mozilla directory and then  your firefox may
start normally

Best regards
DAK

When run as root it seems to be fine. The binary has execute