gjournal and zfs, questions

Vince jhary at unsane.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 14:37:35 UTC 2007

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Daniel Eriksson wrote:
>
>> When will gjournal and zfs be committed to the CVS tree? Will either of
>> them be merged to STABLE?
>
> GJournal aready is:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/geom/journal/g_journal.c?rev=1.9&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
>
> It's unlikely they will be merged to 6-STABLE because they introduce
> lots of changes.

That said there are patches for -STABLE although they are a little stale
now, as changes have been made to stable, however last time i tried only
cosmetic changes were needed (the patches wouldnt apply cleanly because
the file(s) had changed but applying the rejected patches by hand worked
fine, just look for rejects and see why its been rejected. Usually its
because a line has been added to the file or removed and so the line
number in the patch is wrong.)
See Pawels patches at
http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/
in particular
http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/gjournal6_20061024.patch
however also search the freebsd-geom and freebsd-current mailing lists
for how to apply them and build with gjournal support (for a start
Before applying the patch, create the following directories in your
source directory:

sbin/geom/class/journal
sys/geom/journal
sys/modules/geom/geom_journal )

That said I've a 6.2-RELEASE box thats got /var and /usr journaled and
its been running happily for a month and a half. Give a scary sounding
message in dmesg about
GEOM_JOURNAL: Cannot suspend file system /usr (error=35).
but this post
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2006-August/017894.html
indicates its harmless and i havent seen any problems.

zfs looks cool and i'm intending to try it once I get a spare machine to
run -CURRENT on so i can apply the latest patchset

Vince