RAID5 degraded - system hangs

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Mon Mar 5 22:50:46 UTC 2007

I'm no expert, but have experienced a few RAID issues.  First, RAID 5 will
become degraded and will try to rebuild upon a drive failure, once the
failed drive is replaces.  In Mirrored RAID, RAID 1, or RAID 10, the system
will continue to function on the good drive but will alert the
administrator of the drive failure.

One last thing, SATA RAID drives, while they are often said to be
hot-swapable, most manufacturer's recommend power-off then swap
drives.  With SCSI hot swapable drives they can be swapped with power still on.

         -Derek

At 09:22 AM 3/5/2007, Michel, Dietmar wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>

>I´m using an older Server with FreeBSD 6.2 als Fileserver in my home office.
>
>Now I made an upgrade using 4 SATA II disks connected to a promise TX4310
>Raid controller.
>
>Defining a RAID5 a bios level, starting the server and building up the
>Raid at OS level:
>
># atacontrol create RAID5 32 ad4 ad6 ad8 ad10
>
># bsdlable ...
>
># newfs ...
>

>And now I have a functional Raid named ar0.
>

>At boot time the bios told me that even at this level the raid in
>initializing - world seemed to be ok.
>

>Now I tried to prove Raid function and disconnect one disk.
>
>Theoretical data is covered by the rest of 3 ... but after I get the
>system message that one disk has been disconnected the maschine stopps working.
>
>Told me: ar0 raid 5 degarded after a fw minutes no input is possibble.
>

>Even after reboot

>ar0: disk0 Ready
>ar0: disk1 Ready
>ar0: disk2 Ready
>ar0: disk3 down no device found
>
>... end of work
>

>No single user mode or other starting option seemed to work.
>
>I have no chance to rebuild the raid via atacontrol.
>

>Any hints?
>
>Raid without reliability doesn´t make sense!
>

>Regards
>

>   Dietmar

>--
>believed to be clean.