Starting a service on boot

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Mon Mar 5 22:27:33 UTC 2007

rc scripts should accept a few arguments:
start
stop
restart

You can usually find one in /usr/local/etc/rc.d to copy from.

In most cases you want the service to write the PID to a file in /var/log
so only one instance is started.  Also be sure you use full pathnames in
your scripts, don't assume an environment exists.

         -Derek

At 08:37 AM 3/5/2007, Jean-Philippe Daigle wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm attempting to add a new program to the list of services starting at
>boot time on FreeBSD 6.1. Unfortunately, although running the script
>directly as root starts it up just fine, it's not starting at boot time.
>I've found documentation that says there are two basic steps to follow:
>
>1) Create a script named, say, 'foo' starting the program, place it in
>/etc/rc.d/, and make sure it satisfies a few minimal requirements (see
>script below).
>
>2) Edit rc.conf to add "foo_enable=YES" so the init system knows to
>start the new program.
>
>I've done (2), and here's the script for (1) (anything between <> is me
>redacting a username, it's obviously not that way in the script):
>
>(/etc/rc.d)$ cat cc
>#!/bin/sh
>#
># PROVIDE: cc
># REQUIRE: DAEMON
>
>. /etc/rc.subr
>
>name="cc"
>rcvar=`set_rcvar`
>command="/home/<PATH HERE>/cruisecontrol.sh"
>command_args="&"
>cc_user="<BUILD USERNAME HERE>"
>
>load_rc_config $name
>run_rc_command "$1"
>

>I can also check if it's enabled:
>(/etc/rc.d)$ ./cc rcvar
># cc
>$cc_enable=YES
>
>I haven't found anything interesting in the system logs from the last
>boot - any ideas why it's not starting up?
>
>Thanks
>-Jean-Philippe Daigle

>--
>believed to be clean.