Starting MySQL with different database directory

Roger Olofsson raggen at passagen.se
Mon Mar 5 15:31:49 UTC 2007

Hello Dr. Nussbaum,

I do this quite alot but I prefer to do it like this:

1. stop mysqld.
2. copy the /var/db/mysql to <where I want it to be>
3. rename /var/db/mysql to keep the original (just in case)
4. create a symlink in /var/db that points to <where I want it to be>

You create a symlink by issuing the following command (in /var/db)

ln -s <where I want it to be> mysql

replace <where I want it to be> with the correct path to where you want
your database files.

Good luck!