COPYING DATA TO NTFS

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Sat Mar 3 01:54:50 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 01:13:21AM +0100, Marco Hafke wrote:

> Did you read the manpage of mount_ntfs? Have a look to the writing section:
>
> "There is limited writing ability. Limitations: file must be nonresident
> and must not contain any sparces (uninitialized areas); compressed files
> are also not supported.  The file name must not contain multibyte
> characters."
>
> Writing on NTFS with FreeBSd is a bad idea. You should switch to FAT if
> you need to exchange files between this to systems.

Yes.  That seems to be the current status.

What I do on my dual boot is make an extra slice that if FAT32 that I can
use to write back and forth between the FreeBSD and MSwin system.  So,
I end up using up three slices for a dual boot NTFS, FAT32 and FreeBSD.
The FAT32 doesn't have to be terribly large, a couple of GBytes does it
for me.

////jerry