hardware question

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Fri Mar 2 05:51:59 UTC 2007

On Mar 1, 2007, at 8:18 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> jekillen wrote:
>>> Hello;
>>> I have built a machine with ASUS M2N32 WS pro motherboard.
>>> It has dual network interface ports that are Marvell interfaces.
>>> I understand that FreeBSD does not yet support Marvell as of
>>> v6.2. I did get a reference to a source for the driver source and
>>> instructions to compile and install. But my short term solution was
>>> to get Intel nics that fit in PCIe lane one slots. As fate would have
>>> it one of the slots is situated too close to some copper vain heat
>>> dissipation attachments, so the second interface card will not
>>> fit in the slot for the obstruction.
>>> So, my question is simple:
>>> Can I use a network interface card made for a PCIe lane one slot
>>> in a PCIe lane 16 slot and expect it to work?
>>>
>>> By way of explanation: I need to interfaces because I am using
>>> this machine as a web server and I want one public ip address
>>> assigned to it and one private ip address assigned to it also.
>>> I have all but http and dns blocked from the outside. I use ssh
>>> and ftp to post content to the machine on the inside network.
>>> Thanks, not tearing my hair just yet....
>>> Jeff K
>> Maybe. Read this document:
>> <http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3540>.
>> -Garrett
>
> Actually after looking at the size and slots of PCI-Express x16 vs
> standard PCIe, _no_, you can't. In
> <http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3767> there's a picture
> comparing PCIe x16 to PCI, PCIe x8, and PCI-X, and there's no way that
> it will fit... Besides the PCI-x has 1 lane while PCI-x16 has 16.
> That's what I get for not having a up to date machine that I could
> judge this from (still stuck in the PCI "dark ages").
>
> -Garrett

Thanks, in my flustered state of mind I just poked out this message and
then
decided to follow advices I have gotten in the past, ask Google. I came
up
with a Wikipedia article that was positive. I also decided to look back
at the
specs listed on the Tiger Direct site where I got the interface cards
and there
it was, pretty plain.
Compatible with x1, x4, x8, and x16 full-height and low-profile PCI
Express slots
There is still a problem. One of the cards is initializing and
the other is not. I have not determined which one is not. But the punch
line
is that the one that does show up shows up with status no carrier in
ifconfig.
I looked back the the FreeBSD site, at hardware notes for v6.2 and it
appears
that that card specifically, is not listed as supported. 82572 is
listed as supported
by the em driver, but Intel® 82572EI or Intel® 82572GI Gigabit
Controller is not
listed specifically, Well that is another $70+ not well enough spent.
thanks for the response. I guess I will try the driver source route
from another
message from this list, for the Marvell interfaces. I will have to burn
it to a cd
and install from that.
Jeff K