Dual booting problems

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Mar 1 22:33:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 04:36:45PM -0500, Sam Jones wrote:

> I'm having a little problem trying to dual boot. I have two SATA hard
> drives, the first one with FreeBSD and the second with Windows XP. I
> installed the FreeBSD boot manager on the first drive, and when the
> computer boots, it displays:
>
> F1  FreeBSD
> F5  Drive 1
>
> When I press F5, FreeBSD loads and not Windows. I know Windows is
> working because when I disconnect the first drive, Windows boots from
> the second just fine. I've tried using boot0cfg to reload the boot
> manager, but that doesn't help. The simplest thing to do would be to
> specify that F5 boots Windows, but I can't find anything.
>
> Is this configuration even possible? Or does Windows just make it
> impossible to boot from the second disk?

You got it.
As far as I know MSwin[p] insists on being on the first drive.
Of course, FreeBSD doesn't have any such sloppy limitations.

So, swap the drives.  Make sure both have a FreeBSD MBR and
things should work out fine.   You will just have to use the two-step
(F5 followed by F1) to boot FreeBSD.   Actually, if FreeBSD is the
only bootable slice on the second disk(after you move them) you might
not have to hit the F1 after the F5.

////jerry