defrag

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Mar 1 22:20:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 08:51:00AM +1100, Norberto Meijome wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 19:22:32 +0100 (CET)
> Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at tensor.3miasto.net> wrote:
>
> > backup+restore will be defrag
>
> you mean : backup, format, (reinstall if needed, depending on method of backup)
> and restore - or simply restore on top (if you backed up everything and can
> access your drive offline).
>
> simply overwriting the existing files won't change anything, would it? You'd
> need a clean slate to do a defrag this way...

Well, it would do some, but for the greatest effect, you would need:
  dump + rm -rf * + restore
That would get it all.

You could be really extreme and do:
  dump + newfs + restore
if you wanted to, to be sure of a clean file system

You would not need a reformat (though some people really mean newfs
when they say reformat) and you would not need any reinstall.  But,
if you did this on the root partition, you would have to to the
restore from some other boot such as on a different disk or from
the fixit utility on the installation CD.   That shouldn't be
necessary for any other file system unless you foolishly put /sbin
in a partition other than /  (root).

////jerry