Linux "equivalent" to freebsd

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Mar 1 21:55:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 11:17:10 -0800
Simon Gao <gao at schrodinger.com> wrote:

> Why not give Gentoo Linux (www.gentoo.org) a try. By using Gentoo Linux,
> you not only get the similar port system, portage, as with FreeBSD, but
> also enjoy all the benefits Linux can provide. Gentoo Linux is very
> flexible and has a very good support community.

risking making this a discussion about linux : I've used gentoo... portage is
OK.... but is nowhere near as good as the ports collection, IMHO. First, you
need to build everything from scratch, no binary packages. There is an annoying
split of portage sections (dev | production | good | bad | pink ..whatever),
that someone else puts on you, rather than allow you to chose what to use. And
masked ports?!
-USE flags are confusing, to me (global? local? ) Anyway..maybe I haven't got
the patience needed for linux....i rather get on with life :D

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Warned.