Best anoncvs Site to Update 6.2 Sources

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Mar 1 21:21:35 UTC 2007

Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> On Thursday 01 March 2007 17:00, Martin McCormick wrote:
>> 	After installing FreeBSD6.2 from the ISO image, I figured
>> that cvsup would be the best way to update the new system and
>> apply the patches which have come out since the image was
>> created.  I think I have cvsup ready to go, but I can't tell for
>> sure since the mirror site I picked was the first one in the list
>> for the United states.  It is anoncvs.FreeBSD.org and is obviously
>> quite popular.  cvsup tried all night long to connect and never
>> got in .  The next mirror site for the US is
>> anoncvs1.FreeBSD.org and it appears to be down.  Since all I need
>> is to update all the sources for FreeBSD6.2, is there a better
>> choice of sites?  I got these 2 site names from the FreeBSD
>> handbook.
>
> anoncvs is not CVSup. anoncvs.freebsd.org is an anonymous cvs
> server.
>
> You can find CVSup mirrors (and other information) here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
>
> HTH, Nikos

The mirrors are in the form "cvsupN.freebsd.org".  I use cvsup12,
cvsup13, cvsup6 from SW Missouri (and my upstream links go through NE
Oklahoma, dunno if they are close to you or not).

It might be worth the time to install /usr/ports/sysutils/fastest_cvsup
to help find the fastest/nearest servers for your installation area.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
--
Money is truthful.  If a man speaks of his honor, make him pay cash.
		-- Lazarus Long