unlisted camera in gtkam?

ajm ajm91qw at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 1 03:10:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 11:48:54AM +0200, t nagu tundmatu wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> I have a problem with gtkam ? my new camera (Pentax K10D) is not supported.
> I now got it listed in the menu but trying to 'add a new camera' gives a
> message 'could not initialize the camera.' Is there any trick I'm missing or
> is there maybe another program I can use (with the support of this camera)
> or maybe a third option?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I don't have a Pentax, but I use a memory card reader for my Olympus.
I find it easier to mount, download photos then use gqview to
view and gimp to edit.  Just make sure you mount it with the
mount_msdosfs command.
Here is what I have done.

In the /etc/sysctl.conf file I have the following lines:
# user mounts devices
vfs.usermount=1

In the /usr/local/etc/sudoers file I have the following:
# Defaults specification
Defaults env_reset
Defaults timestamp_timeout=0
Defaults tty_tickets
Defaults requiretty
Defaults passwd_timeout=1
# User privilege specification
user_me  ALL=/sbin/umount,\
        /sbin/mount_msdosfs

In my home directory, I have created a directory call
~/mount/camera

I am in the wheel group.

The command is
sudo mount_msdosfs /dev/da?s1 ~/mount/camera
replace the ? with your device number.

I hope this helps...I am sure there are many other ways to do this.
--
Alexander
FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE i386