Selecting printer from apps core dumps. Howto debug?

Graham Bentley admin at cpcnw.co.uk
Sat Jun 30 21:07:04 UTC 2007

> have you compiled print/xfce4-print with "Use cups as
> printing system"? This matters, among other things. You
> can check it with 'make showconfig' and change with
> 'make config'.

3bsd# make showconfig
===> The following configuration options are available for
xfce4-print-4.4.1_1: LPR=off "Use lpr as printing system"
     CUPS=on "Use cups as printing system"
     LETTER=off "Use letter paper format instead of A4"
===> Use 'make config' to modify these settings
3bsd#

Its odd because the cups test page works, printing from
mousepad and firefox works, but abiword bombs completely.
In the short space of time I see it on the screen after
clicking print I can see there is no entry for the printer.

> I had similar problems until I removed lpr from the base.
> To do this, I added this to /etc/make.conf:
> WITHOUT_LPR=true
> CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes
> NO_LPR=yes
> and then rebuilt and reinstalled world and cups.

I have tried adding lpd_enable="NO" top rc.conf then realised
cups replaces lpd anyway so that was no help.

Somewhere along the line I have added

[system=10]
add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups

to /etc/devfs.rules and

devfs_system_ruleset="system"

to rc.conf

I wanted to avoid having to buildword just now ...

and just read this thead ;

> CUPS installs its own version of lpr, lpq and lpd
> under /usr/local/bin.
> Therefore, be sure to delete lpr , lpq and lpd under
> /usr/bin and then symlink from /usr/local/bin to /usr/bin.

although lpd looks to be under /usr/sbin on my system?

Any further help on figuring this out appreciated!