6.2-RELEASE hangs on boot on Ultra 80

brian dye bdye000 at inficad.com
Sat Jun 30 05:51:10 UTC 2007

Greetings,

I'm trying to install freebsd 6.2-RELEASE on a Sun Ultra 80 expert
3D-Lite workstation. I've tried the bootonly and disc1 .iso files
with no luck. In both cases the system hangs after the following
message:

Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
nothing to autoload yet.
jumping to kernel entry at 0x0060000.

The splash for this box reads:

Sun Ultra 80 UPA/PCI (4 X UltraSPARC-II 450MHz), Keyboard Present
OpenBoot 3.29, 4096 MB memory installed, Serial #51547294.
Ethernet address 0:3:ba:12:8c:9e, Host ID: 83128c9e.

This box has two expert 3D-Lite frame buffers. I've read  some other
posts where the problem was with an unsuported frame buffer. If that
is the case here what are some recommended or at least supported
options for an Ultra 80?

Any information you can provide will be appreciated.

-brian dye