Hello 1 question about close console

Steve W lordboink at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 08:50:51 UTC 2007

On 25/06/07, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

> > Hello!
> >
> > I have a question about this situation.
> >
> > In home work Pc with FreeBSD Server, real ip and real domain name.
> > When i remote connect ssh2 (consose) from my work.. make on server some.. compile program from ports
> >
> > And some time later i need to close console, but i want, what session not close and compile processing.
> >
> > If i disconect from console all job stop. How disconect from console and come back to my session?
> >
> > Thank you very much!!!
>
> Install/use /usr/ports/sysutils/screen
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> http://www.potentialtech.com

Oim,

Bill's right, screen is a lifesaver.

However, the man page is *enormous*, here's a synopsis:

To make a new screen session (ie a console you can attach/detach to/from):
$ screen -S "caterpillar"

You will now find yourself in a new terminal.

To list open screen sessions:

$ screen -ls
There is a screen on:
        692976.caterpillar      (Attached)
1 Socket in /tmp/uscreens/S-<your username>.

Now, to leave this session open, and return to your previous shell:

type CTRL + a, then d

Now list again:
$ screen -ls
There is a screen on:
        692976.caterpillar      (Detached)
1 Socket in /tmp/uscreens/S-<your username>.

If there's only one screen session, you can always re-attach to it directly with
$ screen -d -r

However, if there is more than one:

$ screen -ls
There are screens on:
        692976.caterpillar      (Detached)
        460276.butterfly        (Attached)
2 Sockets in /tmp/uscreens/S-<your username>

...you need to specify the one you want:
$ screen -r 692976.caterpillar

90% of all I do with screen is with these commands.

Hope this helps,
Steve