svn+ssh over nonstandard port fails to connect

Christopher Cowart ccowart at rescomp.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 28 23:22:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 04:44:10PM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 03:10:18PM -0700, Christopher Cowart wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 03:45:50PM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> > > I'm attempting to connect to a Subversion repository via SSH using a
> > > nonstandard port to check out the repository.  The names and numbers in
> > > the following have been changed to protect the guilty:
> > >
> > >   svn co svn+ssh://user@123.45.678.90:1234/usr/home/svn-repos/project project
> >
> > Try:
> >
> > SVN_SSH="ssh -p 1234" svn co svn+ssh://user@host/path
>
> Are you suggesting setting an environment variable?  I have more than one
> repository checked out on this system, and they do not all use the same
> port for access.

This is the only way I know to do it. You don't have to set it in your
shell's environment if you use this syntax to prefix the specific
command.

> > > The result I get is as follows:
> > >
> > >   ssh: 123.45.678.90:1234: hostname nor servname provided, or not known
> > >   svn: Connection closed unexpectedly
> > >
> > > Am I having a brainless moment here?  What am I missing?
> >
> > ssh doesn't support the hostname:port syntax. You have to use -p.
> >
> > Hope that helps,
>
> I thought that might be the case, but I'm not sure how to specify it in
> the svn command string -- which seems to be necessary since making a
> universal (to this user account) configuration change would then break
> access to other svn repositories.

You can also create a "new" tunneling protocol. Look at the "SSH
authentication and authorization" section of this part of the handbook:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch06s03.html

Good luck,

--
Chris Cowart