em0 net interface Link state changed to UP too late at boot time

Roberto Nunnari roberto.nunnari at supsi.ch
Thu Jun 28 18:46:56 UTC 2007

Thank you Gilbert.

I think I will give that a try.

But it seams to me that is not the solution.. it may
be a workaround but not a solution.. It seams to me
that early_late_divider is in case you mount a FS
like /usr/local where there are startup scripts executed
at the late stages of the boot process.. and that's
not my case.. my case is that the em0 interface, somehow
gets ready too late.. it doesn't react in a responsive
way to the up command.. I have other boxes with different
NICs, mounting that FS without problem and without
the early_late_divider option.

Can anybody tell why this strange behaviour started
after upgrading from 5.3-RELEASE to 6.1-RELEASE (that
was last summer or early fall). May it be related with
the problems of the em driver? Is there a solution?

is there a way to tell the boot system to wait until
ifconfig_em0 is be up?

or a way to have em0 responde up before in the boot stage?

Thank you again.
Best regards.

--
Robi