Selecting printer from apps core dumps. Howto debug?

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 28 15:46:54 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 11:08 +0100, Graham Bentley wrote:
> Hi FreeBSD'ers !
>
> I have now a nice desktop setup with Xfce4 etc
> thanks to all help from the list (what a great
> place to be:)
>
> I have cups setup with a ppd to print to my usb
> HP Busines Inkjet 1200.
>
> It works perfectly from doing the printer test
> page from the cups webmin:631 page.
>
> In applications, if I select this printer, the
> app core dumps.
>
> Apps effected are Abiword, the printer admin
> xfprint4 in xfce4 and a few others.
>
> Who would I go about trying to diagnose this?
>
> Any help appreciated :)

I had similar problems until I removed lpr from the base. To do this, I
added this to /etc/make.conf:
	WITHOUT_LPR=true
	CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes
	NO_LPR=yes

and then rebuilt and reinstalled world and cups.

Now I can print from everything - including, impressively, Lotus Notes
R5 running in wine.

You probably only need one of WITHOUT_LPR/NO_LPR, but darned if I know
which. The extra line in make.conf seemed simpler than trawling the
makefiles.