Gradual move to own mail server - strategy for noob

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Jun 28 15:40:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:50:20 -0500
Eric F Crist <ecrist at secure-computing.net> wrote:

Eric,
please CC the list, so others can contribute / learn (now and from archives).

> Could you tell me what you're doing with spamassassin?  I've got it
> configured and it seems to be running, but I'd like to know exactly
> what you have configured and how you're doing it.

I'm using SA being called by amavisd-new. Mind you, this is for a small setup
(with rather quite a bit of spam), so this setup may not be the most perfomance
efficient.

Just tell SA to add headers in all cases and you'll find out whether it's
working or not.

>  Are you using
> spamd?

not sure - it's almost 2 AM here...i'm going to hit the sack as I have an
earlish start - i'll try to dig out the config from that mail server and send
it out, but i can't promise it'll happen tomorrow - DO ping me if i haven't
done it after the w/end.

> I would like to - don't know how.  Also, I'd like to redirect
> *****SPAM***** messages into a users SPAM IMAP folder.  Do you know
> how to do that?

I am not sure how to do it - we simply fwd as usual all the email, let our few
users to clean them up (and puts the blame of any false positives far away from
us too)

>   What do you use for a front end?

Dovecot IMAP. Postfix for SMTP. everything clear and TLS enabled.

> Are you using
> virtual users?
yes

> Thanks!  I'm a new postfix user and am still trying to figure
> everything out.

just go over the man pages and postfix's site. the interaction with amavisd and
SA , and the flowing in and out of mails is where it gets interesting.

bye
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Do not take away the camels hump, you may be stopping him from being a camel.

Warned.