tftpd problems

Steve W lordboink at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 23:12:24 UTC 2007

Oliver Peter wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 04:04:56PM -0700, Mike Sweetser - Adhost wrote:
>> I'm having problems setting up tftpd on FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE - our Cisco
>> routers cannot connect to the server, and only small files can be
>> uploaded.
>>
>> Here's the line from inetd.conf:
>>
>> tftp    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/tftpd      tftpd -w
>> -l -s /home/tftproot
>>
>> When TFTPing from a Cisco router, a zero-byte file is created, and then
>> a timeout occurs and it errors out.
>>
>> When TFTPing from a Windows XP machine, only about 20-30 bytes of the
>> file are uploaded.  No error is received, it says it completes the
>> upload.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> My first try would be to have a look into /var/log/xferlog .

Mike,

Once I had problems with FBSD6.0's standard tftp server
(/usr/libexec/tftpd) ignoring the blksize option as specified by clients.

The symptoms were similar: transfers 'completed', but
no/partial/unusable file.

<inetd.conf>

#tftp	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/libexec/tftpd	tftpd -l -s /tftpboot
#standard tftp server ignores client's blksize request (of 1432) and
sends 512 byte blocks regardless

#installed tftp-hpa-0.41 instead from port
tftp	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/local/libexec/in.tftpd	in.tftpd -a
10.1.2.1:69 -T 500000 -t 15 -v -s /usr/jail/usr/minibsd/boot

</inetd.conf>

HTH

Best wishes,
Steve