Upgrading from an old athlon to a new 64 bit one.

eculp at unixmania.com eculp at unixmania.com
Wed Jun 27 20:05:08 UTC 2007

I have just stuck the disks from an old AMD Athlon(tm)  (1333.39-MHz
686-class CPU) into a new box with an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
3800+ (2387.78-MHz 686-class CPU).  I am still building a daily kernel
with the old configuration and all is well.  Of course the old
configuration was/is i386.  Now I need to compile for 64 bit apps.  I
have configured a slightly modified sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC kernel and
was going to build it as a test only to find out that a simple make
buildkernel KERNCONF=AMD doesn't find /sys/amd64/conf/AMD.  There is
an old reference in UPDATING from 5.0 that didn't work either.

The other question is on today's make world all seems to still be
compiled ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386 so I am sure missing
something very simple.

I'm actually going to update serveral machines, both Current and
RELENG.  All of which are up to date.  Hopefully there will be no
major problems.  I also plan to recompile all ports once I am able to
build and install an AMD64 world and kernel.  Right now all is working
fine with todays, sources and kernel except they are compiled for Intel.

Any other suggestions appreciated.  Maybe someone might recommend
upgrading the RELENG boxes to CURRENT first?

Thanks,

ed