Gradual move to own mail server - strategy for noob

Martin Hepworth maxsec at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 16:52:08 UTC 2007

HI

On 6/27/07, Barnaby Scott <bds at waywood.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to replace my current arrangement for email, and though I
> have read as much as possible on it, I just want to check if I am on the
> right lines with what I'm planning. (Is that a legitimate use of this
> list?) It's the same old story, when you're a beginner it is very hard
> to take even small steps until you have a grasp of the 'big picture',
> and know what direction you should be going. So I'd be glad of any
> opinions, pointers, or How-Tos that I may not have spotted.
>
> If you read the rest of this, you may think that I'm trying to implement
> something way too heavyweight for what I need at the moment, and you'd
> be right! However, I want to learn, and enjoy trying to master the big
> boys' toys.
>
> OK, so here's where I am:
> 8 users
> 3 or 4 Windows machines including a laptop - users may use any/all of
> these
> New FreeBSD server so far only operating as a Samba server (PDC).
> Email is downloaded by individual clients from ISP via POP3 - user must
> be at specific machine to access their local mail folders. If elsewhere,
> they must use webmail, but of course sent messages, replied flags etc
> are then inconsistent, besides which messages are only left on the (ISP)
> server for a limited time.
>
> Here is where I want to get to:
> IMAP server on my FreeBSD box (and using Maildir is my instinctive
> preference.)
> Ultimately, but not yet, I want to start using the FreeBSD machine as a
> proper mailserver - i.e. get a static IP address and point the MX record
> hosted by my provider at it. For now though I am happy to fetch from the
> existing mailboxes that they host for me.
> Again, not necessarily now, but when I am fully up and running, run spam
> and virus checking (that's done for me now, but inevitably could be
> improved on.)
>
> What I _think_ I want to do is this:
> Install Fetchmail to get mail from my various hosted mailboxes
> Configure Sendmail, which I accepted as the default mailer
> Install Procmail to deliver messages in Maildir format (to users' home
> directories?)
> Install Courier IMAP as the IMAP server

I'd suggest dovecot over courier. Courier's not exactly under active
development

Ultimately, then drop Fetchmail and reconfigure Sendmail for receiving
> mail directly, and add anti- spam and virus tools.
>
> Have I got this about right? Do I really need 4 separate tools to do
> this? Have I overlooked something more obvious/elegant? Where are my big
> pitfalls going to be?

IF you can just redirect the MX record it's easiest to get everything
working first them the fetchmail won't need to run for long after you've
moved DNS records. Depends if you can do this.

yes you will need some sort of anti spam. I  use Spamassassin and
MailScanner at work - which BTW ain't that far from you (
www.solidstatelogic.com)..if want some one-to-one help drop me a line.

If replying, please keep in mind my embarrassing level of inexperience!!

--
Martin