UPS enabled Shutdown

Ivan Carey ivan at careytech.com.au
Wed Jun 27 10:36:40 UTC 2007

Jonathan Horne wrote:
> On Sunday 24 June 2007 07:18:56 Ivan Carey wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> How do I setup FreeBSD 6.2 to allow a UPS to shutdown a system via a USB
>> port.
>>
>> I may be using a Powerware UPS, I'm not sure which one yet.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ivan
>>

> if you havent made your UPS purchase yet (and as long as you dont have a
> prewired hatred of APC), sysutils/apcupsd works flawlessly for me, for both
> serial and USB interface'd APCs.
>
> cheers,

I haven't purchased a UPS yet.
Does apcupsd send shutdown messages to Windows users logged into the
server via Samba or does it only send it to users logged directly into
FreeBSD?
Reading the apcusbd manual I noticed it said that to access the
RETURNCHARGE setting in the ups you need to be connected via a serial
port. Do you use a Serial or USB connection?

I am thinking of purchasing an APC  SUA1500I model.

Thanks,
Ivan