MS exchange alternatives for FreeBSD

Ivan Carey ivan at careytech.com.au
Wed Jun 27 06:26:12 UTC 2007

Cheffo wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have server running postfix + courier-imap, and I'm looking for
> someway to add possibility to exchange calendars/contacts/meeting
> invitations/etc between mail clients.
>
> Can someone recommend calendar, that is compatible with windows
> clients and can be run under FreeBSD?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> P.S. Please CC me on reply as I'm not subscribed to -questions.

Hello Cheffo,
I wanted to do what you asked and after a lot of research I was able to
achieve this by installing on the FreeBSD server openldap for the email
addresses and a WEBDAV folder in Apache for the calendar.
My setup has my email address in the ldap server and these addresses can
be accessed by Outlook and Thunderbird.
I use Sunbird as the calendar and publish the calendar to the webdav folder.

The ldap server can be maintained by phpldapadmin
http://phpldapadmin.sourceforge.net/

This setup allows all users to have access to a common email address
book and a common calendar.

The only thing I was unable to do was setup an imap server to allow
access to Common emails.

I am interested in being able to set up an imap server.

Regards,
Ivan