patches for the 6.2-RELEASE kernel

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Jun 26 20:19:45 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 07:03:05PM +0200, Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez wrote:

> Hi Folks.
>
> I am FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE user. i'm learning FreeBSD.
>
> Some times, i see people have a system named 6.2-RELEASE-pxx, where
> xx is a number. I know that -pxx are security patches, or not only
> security and too are patches for solve bugs?.
>
> My dude is: is very convenient have upgraded the kernel to this
> patches. I'm a home user, not a bussiness. Nothing "important"
> depend on my system.
>
> My second dude is: how is the "upgrade" process?, are there this patch
> files in any concrete web site and the user must download it and apply?,
> are there any "automatized" mechanism for get it?.

Check out csup (previously called cvsup) in the handbook.
Then csup your system to  RELENG_6_2  or even  RELENG_6
and your ports to the latest.

Then do all the makes and mergemaster just like the handbook says
and then rebuild your ports and it will have the latest of everything.

The handbook is available online at the FreeBSD web site or, if you
installed the documentation - which you should have - it is on your
local machine at:
    file:///usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Here is the relevant portion of my supfile for csup:

  *default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
  *default base=/var/db
  *default prefix=/usr
  *default tag=RELENG_6
  *default release=cvs
  *default delete use-rel-suffix

  *default compress

  ## Main Source Tree.
  # The easiest way to get the main source tree is to use the "src-all"
  # mega-collection.  It includes all of the individual "src-*" collections.

  src-all

  ports-all tag=.

  doc-all tag=.

Call it as:      csup -g -L 2 my-supfile

I think the params are the same

////jerry