FreeBSD 6.2 and UPS (Zebra) LP 2844 Printer USB

M Lubratt mplubratt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 21:10:44 UTC 2007

Hello!

I'm trying to attach a UPS (United Parcel Services) LP 2844 printer to my
FreeBSD box (6.2-STABLE) via a USB cable.  My goal is to share this label
printer on my internal network via SAMBA/CUPS.  I believe this printer is
essentially the same as the Zebra LP 2844 model.

When I connect the USB cable, I get the following message on the root
console:

uhub0: port 1, set config at addr 2 failed
uhub0: device problem (STALLED), disabling port 1

I've searched google and the archives looking for the solution and I'll I
really found was some info on /dev permissions.  So, my /etc/rc.conf has:

devfs_system_ruleset="login"

and /etc/devfs.rules has:

[login=100]
add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups

This doesn't seem to fix the issue.

Needless to say, CUPS doesn't see this printer at all.

Has anyone successfully attached this printer?

I'm running on a Dell PowerEdge 400SC machine with world and ports updated
within the last week.

Thanks!
Mark