Repopulating the GENERIC kernel

Pietro Cerutti gahr at gahr.ch
Mon Jun 25 17:07:13 UTC 2007

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I have a production 6.2 STABLE machine w/something like this in /etc/make.conf:
>
> KERNCONF=MYKERN SMP GENERIC
>
> When I do a 'make kernel', as I understand it, all three kernels get *build* but only
> MYKERN actually gets installed.
>
> So ... how do I get the latest version of GENERIC (that I just compiled per the above)
> "installed" into /boot *without* it actually being the active kernel.  IOW, I want
> my kernel build to *install* MYKERN as the active kernel and refresh GENERIC just in
> case I need it to recover a failed boot...

try with

make buildkernel
make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC INSTKERNNAME=GENERIC
make installkernel KERNCONF=SMP INSTKERNNAME=SMP
make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERN INSTKERNNAME=MYKERN

then set the name of the kernel that you want to boot off in
/boot/loader.conf, as

kernel=MYKERN

I don't know if there's an automatized way to perform the same...

Hope this helps,

--
Pietro Cerutti

PGP Public Key: