Starting Scripts

Scott Mayo sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Mon Jun 25 15:37:08 UTC 2007

I have set some things to automatically start in the rc.conf like ssh
and apache by doing 'sshd_enable="YES"' and 'apache22_enable="YES"'. How
do I start things like Zope and Cyrus?

 From the command line I can just:

'/usr/local/cyrus/bin master &' for cyrus

'/data/home/testuser/zope28/bin/zopectl start' for my instance of zope.

I use to add lines like this to the rc.local file in linux to get them
started.  I was thinking that I read that this could still be done in
FreeBSD, but was not the preferred way to do it.

 From looking at the scripts in '/usr/local/etc/rc.d', it looks like
there are different ways.  For zope it says that I can define
'zope28_enable : "YES"' in '/etc/rc.conf', '/etc/rc.conf.local' or
'/etc/rc.conf/zope28', so I guess that I just add 'zope28_enable :
"YES"' to my rc.conf?

Then the imapd script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d says to:

move imapd.sh to '/etc/rc.d/cyrus_imapd' and define the cyrus_imapd_* in
'/etc/rc.conf', '/etc/rc.conf.local' or 'etc/rc.conf.d/cyrus_imapd'.

Then it shows '[ -z "$cyrus_imapd_enable" ] && cyrus_imapd_enable="NO"'
and [-z "$cyrus_imapd_flags" ] && cyrus_imapd_flags="-d"'.

Do I enter both of those commands in the '/etc/rc.conf' just as shown?
I assume the "NO" will be "YES".  These two lines have me a bit baffled.

I guess that I am still a bit confused on the '/etc/rc.d' and the
'/usr/local/etc/rc.d' directories. There is no imapd.sh in
'/usr/local/etc/rc.d', but it is only imapd.  This has had me confused
because in the FreeBSD handbook it talked about the scripts here would
all end in .sh, but none of them do.  The way that it read, if there was
an '.sh' file in '/usr/local/etc/rc.d' then that script would be run at
bootup.

Thanks for any help.  I am just trying to get a good grasp on exactly
how things work here.  I thought I understood it from reading the
handbook, but then it seems a bit different when I get on the server.

--
Scott Mayo
System Administrator

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it
holds the universe together.