Issue with freebsd 6.2 and disk drives

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Sat Jun 23 23:51:30 UTC 2007

Hi all,

My dedicated server company is deploying me a new FreeBSD 6.2 server.  The
box uses SATA drives, and is an AMD Athlon box.

I was getting the following error flooding my dmesg:

ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=*********

so they replaced all the hardware in the box.  Still, with entirely
different hardware, I am getting the same error:

ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=106848207

The hard drive in the new box is:

ad4: 76319MB <Seagate ST3808110AS 3.AAD> at ata2-master SATA150

Before I start telling them that this new hardware is also bad, I figured
I would see if there are any known problems/bugs with 6.2, or possibly a
known compatibility issue with SATA (and maybe if I should ask them to
switch to IDE).

Thanks all,

Matt