Having problems with dhcp6 (still), can anyone help

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 14:59:04 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm having a difficult time getting this dhcp for IPv6 (dhcp6 from
ports) working.  I'm embedding my config files in this message.

[dhcp6s.conf]
# The followings are a sample configuration to provide a DNS server address
# for every client as well as to delegate a permanent IPv6 prefix
# 2001:db8:1111::/48 to a client whose DUID is 00:01:00:01:aa:bb.

option domain-name "ipv6.isolated";
option domain-name-servers fec0::1;

# The followings are a sample configuration to provide an IPv6 address
# from an address pool 2001:db8:1:2::1000-2000 for 3600[s].
# Note. You have to send an RA to fxp0; otherwise a client cannot be sure
# about the prefix-length and the default router.  If you want to prevent
# stateless address configuration via RA, please set the autonomous-flag to
# OFF in your RA configuration.

interface sis0 {
	address-pool isolated_pool 3600;
};

pool isolated_pool {
	range fec0::11 to fec0::20;
};

[dhcp6c.conf]
# The followings are a sample configuration for requiring the "stateless"
# DHCPv6 service.
interface sis0 {
	information only;
};

(There's actually a little more in this file, but it's all commented out.)

As you can see from the config files, in my isolated environment, I'm
using IPv6 addresses fec0::/64 (can't remember the RFC number, that
this is the equivalent to 192.168.0.0).

Basically, nothing is happening.  I have a server on which I start
dhcp6s.  Using sockstat, I can see that this process is actually
listening for incoming requests.  Then, on my client side I start
dhcp6c.  Well, to help me work out the issues I installed wireshark to
see what's happening on the wire ... the answer is ... nothing.  Not a
single packet.

If there is anyone on this list that is familiar with how to setup
this software, please enlighten me.  I'm been searching through what
VERY limited documentation for dhcp6 exists and haven't made any
headway as of yet.  I found some discussion boards on sourceforge.net
for this software project, but there was pitiful little there as well,
not to mention only a few postings.

Any help is appreciated.

Andy