fs cache

Vlad GURDIGA gurdiga at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 13:08:04 UTC 2007

On 22/06/07, Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass at teledomenet.gr> wrote:
> On Friday 22 June 2007 14:23, Vlad GURDIGA wrote:
> > I'm afraid my background in this area is too thin to go that far...
>
> -CURRENT is for developers or users who want to contribute in
> the development process of FreeBSD. And as Noberto said, there
> is a lot of debugging info enabled, which make debugging
> possible, but hurt performance greatly.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html#CURRENT
>
> > I apologize for the noise.
>
> No worries, just download and install 6.2-RELEASE.

I'd love to but some of my hardware is not supported by 6.2.
Audio chipset Sigmatel 9221 is not supported.
My SATA controller had an issue on 6.2 (I wrote about that on the
list: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-March/145701.html)
and in the end I was advised to try -CURRENT. This is whar I did and
was happy for a while. Sound and HDD are working perfectly, and
performance is OK even with the debugging options enabled in kernel.
But now I am left without OpenOffice (yes, there is another current
thread here). I Guess it's time to switch to Google Docs for a while,
until 7-RELEASE is out.. ;-)

Thanks for comments.