ftp woes

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 22 08:38:12 UTC 2007

On Thursday 21 June 2007, RYAN M. vAN GINNEKEN said:
> Hello all i have been going crazy trying to sort out this ftp
> problem. I have a server machine that is connected directly to the
> net i have opened my ipf firewall to accept all connections. At
> first i thought i did not need ipnat rules becuase this host is not
> acting as a gateway just a standalone machine. I added these rules
> to ipnat just to be on the safe side even though i do not have a
> internal network.
>
> # This rule will handle all the traffic for the internal LAN:
> map xl0 192.168.0.0/16 -> 0/32 proxy port 21 ftp/tcp
>
> # This rule handles the FTP traffic from the gateway:
> map xl0 0.0.0.0/0 -> 0/32 proxy port 21 ftp/tcp
>
> # THE RULE THAT FORWARDS EVERTHING
> map xl0 192.168.0.0/16 -> 0/32
> map xl0 192.168.1.0/16 -> 0/32
>
> I tried the default ftpd and lukemftp now i have installed and
> configured proftpd
>
> I can login ok but when i try to do a cd or ls i always get this
> error
>
> ftp new.computerking.ca
> Connected to new.computerking.ca.
> 220 ProFTPD 1.3.1rc2 Server (ProFTPD Default Installation)
> [68.144.1.51] Name (new.computerking.ca:rmvg): computerking
> 331 Password required for computerking
> Password:
> 230 User computerking logged in
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp> ls
> ftp: connect: No route to host
> ftp> cd
> (remote-directory) /
> 250 CWD command successful
> ftp> ls
> ftp: connect: No route to host
> ftp> dir
> ftp: connect: No route to host
> ftp>

You need both port 20 and port 21.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html