Upgrade from 5.5 to 5.5

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Thu Jun 21 19:52:08 UTC 2007

On Thursday 21 June 2007 03:44:48 pm Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> On Thursday 21 June 2007 03:18:32 pm Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> > I just finished ( what I thought was an upgrade) to 6.0
> >
> > Only to find after I rebooted that I was still at 5.5
> >
> > I did it via sysinstall- it said upgrade successful reboot -
> >
> > And when I did I was back at 5.5
> >
> > Obviously , I missed something just not sure what/where
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> Since you mention sysinstall I'm assuming you were attempting a binary
> upgrade. Please provide more details, including (but not limited to):
>
> Did you boot from an install CD (or other media) or did you run sysinstall
> directly from the running system?
>
> What media did you select from sysinstall? (FTP, CDROM, etc)
>
> Did you go in to the sysinstall options screen and change the version
> string (or notice what it was)?
>
> If you did use a CD, where did it come from and what version is it?
> (followup:
> are you sure?)

# I upgraded from the running system,  I used passive ftp , I selected
# minimal install, and just chose a an ftp server to download from

In that case sysinstall got its version string from the running system (5.5),
so that's what it downloaded and installed.

Try it again, but this time go to the Options menu (from the main Sysinstall
menu) and change the release name to what you really want. I would suggest
6.2-RELEASE unless you have a reason for wanting 6.0.

JN