SSL and Thunderbird 2.0.0.0 on FreeBSD 6.0

Jarrod jofsama at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 04:51:04 UTC 2007

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me whether they have experienced any problems with SSL
under Thunderbird 2.0.0.0 (20070612) on FreeBSD 6.0?

I used portupgrade to download and install the pkg the other day, along
with Firefox 2.0.0.4, I might add, and I am now unable to use SSL to
connect to my mail server.

Fortunately, I can use a normal connection, so it is not a major issue,
but all the same...

Initially I thought it might be caused by the same problem which stopped
the new Firefox from being able to access sites using https. I solved
this, after much digging around on the internet, by adding the path:

"/usr/local/lib/nss"

to the ldconfig setup in my rc.conf.

Unfortunately, Thunderbird remains broken. Has anyone experienced
something similar?

Alternatively, does anyone know how Thunderbird goes about finding the
nss package? Would it be possible that even with ldconfig ok,
Thunderbird still can't locate the nss libraries?

I actually have another issue, quite possibly connected, which is that
since the upgrade I haven't been able to set Thunderbird's master
password. It is storing my account passwords fine I should add.

I've tried every trick I could find on the internet, including using
"modutil" to recreate the .db files and things, but nothing has worked
so far.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jarrod.