Can No Longer Get To Virtual Consoles After -STABLE Update

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Jun 19 14:28:59 UTC 2007

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 07:30:17 -0400
Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:

> Norberto Meijome writes:
>
> >  Look for some threads in this list about ALT key and alternative
> >  keyboadd maps not working after the upgrade. There is a suuposed
> >  fiex, but I haven't tested it yet.
>
> 	On the advice of a third party, I added this:

hey :)

> Section "ServerFlags"
>         Option  "DontZap"               "false"

enables killing your X server w/ ctrl-alt-backspace - not relevant

>         Option  "DontZoom"              "true"

Ctrl-alt-[+/- num keys] for zoon - disabled, not relevant

>         Option  "AllowMouseOpenFail"    "true"

cant see this as being relevant

> #  XFree86 4.[34].x - Add "DontVTSwitch" to be false (for
> #         console switching).
>
>         Option  "DontVTSwitch"          "false"

fair enough, but as per xorg.conf manpage, the default is off / false anyway.

>         Option  "HandleSpecialKeys"     "always"
>
> #  Xorg 6.8.(2|99.903) - Add "XkbDisable" to be true (for
> #         console switching).
>
>         Option  "XkbDisable"    "true"

exactly :) as per the other emails I refered, the issue is with Xkb extensions
when you have multiple / altnernative kb layouts

> EndSection
>

> 	at the end of my xorg.conf.
> 	This has fixed the "ctl+alt+<Fn>" problem.  There may be side
> effects, but so far I haven't triggered any of them.

yes, you can't use alternative keyboard layouts and switch between them. there
is a proposed work around (also in the archives) ,but I haven't tested it yet.

cheers,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"The people have always some champion whom they set over them and nurse into
greatness... This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he
first appears he is a protector." Plato

Warned.