FreeBSD and Robotics

Murray Taylor MTaylor at bytecraft.com.au
Mon Jun 18 03:57:12 UTC 2007

I can only think of one other point for this...
Interrupt latency.  Depending on what you are attempting to do,
the variable nature of interrupt responses could be an issue.
I.e. if the system becomes io bound during a data capture cycle,
and something occurs that requires a response within a very narrow
window, it is possible to miss the window due to other interrupt
processes running.

For this reason, robotics systems often run on highly optimised
single process systems where there is a 'guaranteed' poll cycle
and / or a very minimal defined interrupt system with minimal
overheads.

mjt

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.