OK - I'm fairly clueless on this...

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jun 15 20:53:09 UTC 2007

On Jun 15, 2007, at 1:14 PM, Kurt Buff wrote:

>> > very short times suggest that the router (possibly NAT machine as
>> > 192.168 suggest) is doing strange things...
>> Do you have a bogus rdr/fwd in your config anywhere?
>> --
>> Joe Holden
>> T: (UK) 02071009593 (AU) 282442321
>> E: joe at joeholden.co.uk
>
> Uh, don't know what those are, and I built this machine myself, from
> scratch, so I doubt it.
>
> All it's got on it is postfix (for mailing daily reports) and squid.
> It's pointed to our new T1, out a Watchguard firewall - we're going to
> use the old T1 for mail and traffic to our branch offices.

It would not be astonishing if your Watchguard firewall was blocking
or modifying the traceroute traffic and ICMP time exceeded packets
which result, unless someone has explicitly configured it to pass
traceroutes.

However, the problem you've shown can also happen when something
things it should proxy-arp for all IPs, in other words, it will claim
that anything outside of the subnet it is actually on is really a
local IP and should go to that particular MAC address.

Doing an "arp -a" and looking for dups should indicate whether this
sort of thing is happening...

--
-Chuck