Problem after upgrade, please help

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jun 15 17:43:18 UTC 2007

On Jun 15, 2007, at 8:54 AM, scuba at centroin.com.br wrote:
> 	I did an upgrade via Boot CD, from FBSD 5.4 to 6.1 that finished
> without errors. But after the reboot, I discovered that the disk
> partition has gone.
> 	The original disk had two partitions, one DOS (20GB) and the other
> FBSD (60 GB), selectable via FBSD boot manager.
> 	Since I don't have a backup of the original disk labels, how can I
> recover my partitions?

You can try to use the fdisk program via the sysinstall program from
your boot CD (ie Configure->Fdisk) and recreate your partitions,
assuming you can remember or get lucky recreating the exact
parameters.  There's also:

/usr/ports/sysutils/testdisk

Tool to check and undelete partition
Works with the following partitions:
- FAT12 FAT16 FAT32
- Linux EXT2/EXT3
- Linux SWAP (version 1 and 2)
- NTFS (Windows NT/W2K/XP)
- BeFS (BeOS)
- UFS (BSD)
- Netware
- ReiserFS

TestDisk is under GNU Public License.
You can compile it under Dos with DJGPP or under Linux or BSD with gcc.

WWW: http://www.cgsecurity.org/

- Florent Thoumie
flz at xbsd.org

--