Installing 6.2 from a 5.3 mini install CD...

Peter Wood peter at alastria.net
Thu Jun 14 18:15:18 UTC 2007

Good Afternoon,

Does anyone have any knowledge, good or bad, about installing
6.2-RELEASE from a 5.3-RELEASE mini install CD?

The story is that I have a 5.3-RELEASE CD in my colo server in London
(which I have BIOS serial support w/ terminal server), and I know in the
installer you can specify the release name.

I've tried to do this in VMware, I did a custom install, set the release
name to 6.2-RELEASE, installed only base. However as FreeBSD has enabled
an option for a SMP kernel, it didn't install a kernel and thus failed
to boot.

I was contimplating if I could install the kernel as a package or a non
named distribution. Is there anything I can do, or do I have to send a
CD down and hope my provider doesn't charge me to much?

This'll teach me for not buying a CD-RW when I buy a new server... "What
will I need one of them for, it's a colo server.".

Cheers,

Peter.