mplayer and xmms

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Jun 14 00:04:39 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 01:45:37AM +0200, Nikola Lecic wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:32:48 -0600
> Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm just generally curious about why XMMS is a dependency for MPlayer
> > in FreeBSD.  I accidentally uninstalled MPlayer by uninstalling XMMS,
> > and am right now in the middle of reinstalling it from ports -- and
> > it occurs to me that, as far as I'm aware, MPlayer doesn't in and of
> > itself actually need XMMS.  Have things changed since the last time I
> > ran a box with MPlayer but no XMMS?
>
> Hello Chad,
>
> That dependency is optional in mplayer:
>
>   .if defined(WITH_XMMS)
>   CONFIGURE_ARGS+=    --enable-xmms
>   LIB_DEPENDS+=   xmms.4:${PORTSDIR}/multimedia/xmms
>   .else
>   CONFIGURE_ARGS+=    --disable-xmms
>   .endif
>
> It should be sufficient to turn off "Enable XMMS plugin support" with
> 'make config'.

Thanks much.  I forgot all about having done that back when I first
installed MPlayer.

Leon Festinger: "A man with a conviction is a hard man to change. Tell him
you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts and figures and he questions
your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point."