Fresh install won't compile requirement libraries for cvsup

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 23:53:57 UTC 2007

On 6/13/07, illoai at gmail.com <illoai at gmail.com> wrote:

> The CPU on basically every x86 machine after the original
> pentium runs faster than the bus (or memory) speed.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Side_Bus
>
> The board will probably have jumpers (though sometimes
> boards this old will have bios options) to select Front Side
> Bus speed (typically 33, 50, 60, 66, 75, 100, 120, and 133MHz
> on a machine of this age) and a second set of jumpers to
> select the CPU multiplier.
> An old K6-III 450MHz I have here uses a 100MHz bus and
> a 4.5:1 multiplier (which alternately might have been marked
> 9:2) to obtain the 450MHz CPU speed.  A 700MHz CPU on
> a 100MHz bus would require a 7:1.  If it really does have a
> 133MHz bus, it might be set to something like 5.2:1.
>
> In any case, your troubles are likely either bad memory or
> a too-hot CPU, the second of which might be something
> as simple as dust or a bad fan bearing.
>
> --
> --

My suspicion is also for the memory.  Due to some laziness on my part,
I'm going to just swap out the PC 133 stuff with the PC 100 stuff that
I have to see if that fixes it.  This PC 100 stuff used to run a
Fedora, and later, an OpenBSD system.  On both I performed builds of
various software.  So, I'm going to give it a try.

Andy