gettext version bump and php5-gettext

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Tue Jun 12 18:35:45 UTC 2007

Hello!

I'm about to upgrade PHP4->PHP5 on a server where gettext-0.14.5 port is
currently installed. This server also has php gettext extension
installed from ports (php4-gettext-4.4.4). When I read UPDATING entry of
20070318, I initially thought that I'll need to rebuild all ports that
depend on gettext. However, after reading
/usr/ports/lang/php5/Makefile.ext it seems to me that php5-gettext would
actually build with my existing version of gettext, since Makefile.ext
seems to accept any existing version of libintl. If that were the case,
it would make my PHP upgrade much easier since I wouldn't need to
upgrade gettext, SpamAssassin, amavisd-new and Amanda at the same time.
I appreciate that I won't have the latest and greatest version of
gettext, but I could get the PHP upgrade done with less reading of
various ChangeLogs, less downtime, less work...

Is my understanding correct?

--
Toomas Aas