Shorten delay in sending mail to SMTP

Foo JH jhfoo-ml at extracktor.com
Tue Jun 12 15:30:35 UTC 2007

Olivier,

I have no visibility on the delay on which external smtp servers deliver
mails to my mail server. Once a mail is sent out of my mail client, the
mail can be received immediately through my imap client.

To give a more detailed picture on load, my Qmail does not really a
heavy load. I'd say at 9 times out of 10 there are no mails in the
queue. Everything is stored locally so I have no reason to suspect
internal network delays and all.

My suspicion with the delay being related to dns lookups, is partially
also because I wait a couple of seconds less when I am sending from
within the same service provider. Yet when I (for example go home and)
send from another service provider, the delay is longer (by a couple
more seconds). Do note that I am on all tests on broadband, so we can
assume network delay is negligible.

Can anyone confirm that Qmail/ inetd/ FreeBSD does some form of dns
lookup on it's SMTP?