Coordinating dhcpd and bind

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Tue Jun 12 13:45:11 UTC 2007

For some local networks, I run dhcpd using assigning fixed IP address
based on the client MAC.  I am also running bind for the local
networks.  At some sites where I am doing this, I'm using webmin for
maintaining DNS (or I actually have my clients doing this).  I've
don't use or recommend webmin for DHCPd since I've just had too many
problems with it, so that is maintained by hand.

Naturally I'd like to coordinate this activity.  When a new host is
added, it would be nice to ensure that the name and IP assigned in
DHCP is the same that is done with DNS.

I could write my own script for this, but I'm sure that similar
scripts have been written a thousand times, 980 of which are better
than I would write.  Is there anything in ports or elsewhere that
people could recommend.

(Some of the sites where I need this are mostly Linux based, but will
be moving to FreeBSD over time).

-j