FreeBSD box/ADSL link config

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at teledomenet.gr
Tue Jun 12 09:50:07 UTC 2007

On Monday 11 June 2007 23:00, Erik Norgaard wrote:
> My current setup is like this:
>
>              10.0.0/24          192.168.0/24      static IP
> Wireless ))--- AP --- FreeBSD -------------- DSL ------------- Internet
>                        many-1                 1-1
>                         NAT                   NAT
> [snip]
>
> For some bizare reason the ISP gateway is on a private LAN segment and
> the mask doesn't include my assigned static IP - but maybe that's not a
> problem?

No, that's not a problem for point-to-point links. The two
peer addresses can be totally unrelated.

> I can't figure out which protocol layers which in the internet
> connection setup.
>
> - I have to configure PPPoE on the FreeBSD box?

Yes, you can try ppp(8) which is very simple to setup.
Search for pppoe label in /usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample
Later on, you should also try using net/mpd4, which is a bit
more difficult than ppp to setup.

> - The 192.168.0/24 will not exactly disappear, but rather be like a
> "dead end" that only works for communication with the router - which has
> a web interface for configuration?

Yes, but you will barely need to manage the DSL modem/router.
The only thing you'll have to configure on the modem will be
bridging(it may be called rfc1483-something), VPI and VCI.
It will then bridge the VCI to its ethernet interface and
that's the end of the story. Everything will be handled by
the (FreeBSD) box which stands behind the modem. Most of the
times you can omit the IP address from your PPPoE interface,
as it will be used only for managing the modem.

> - And the external interface will be a ppp0, not vr0 as currently?

The external interface would be tunX or ngX(in case you are using mpd)
Your vr0 interface will send/receive PPPoE frames to/from the modem.
(And local IP (192.168.0/24) traffic for management purposes, if any)

> The DSL router in question is a Thomson Speedtouch 546v6.

Speedtouch routers had as factory default bridging mode.
A simple revert to factory defaults will probably enable
you to use PPPoE from your FreeBSD box. It will probably
have correct VPI/VCI setting for you country/internet provider.
But, don't take my word for it.

> Any hints, howtos or other on how to do this?

Try ppp and send the list the results.

HTH, Nikos