debugging pppoe

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at teledomenet.gr
Tue Jun 12 08:07:33 UTC 2007

On Monday 11 June 2007 22:54, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 04/06/07 Nikos Vassiliadis said:
> > ppp does not write much on the console. And that is probably a
> > decision made by the authors, since it is meant to be run mostly
> > interactively. You can see its logs in /var/log/ppp.log
>
> Indeed. I turned up the logging and I had to turn it down before it
> filled /var. :)
>
> If I could get it to log like that to the console, then I could
> supervise it with runit, logging via svlogd.

I am not familiar with these programs, but keep in mind that
these methods may not be the best choice. FreeBSD and BSDs
in general are very nicely integrated. The solution might (or
not) be in the base system.

> I guess there's no way to
> force that log level to stdout?

You guessed wrong:) From ppp(8):

     It is also possible to log directly to the screen.  The syntax is the
     same except that the word ``local'' should immediately follow ``set
     log''.  The default is ``set log local'' (i.e., only the un-maskable
     warning, error and alert output).

Something else of possible interest is that ppp, can serve its console
over a socket making remote debugging possible.

HTH, Nikos