umount -f

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 02:21:55 UTC 2007

On 11/06/07, Modulok <modulok at gmail.com> wrote:

> 3. Is there any safe way to unconditionally umount a file system, even if a
> run-away process is writing to it (as bad of an idea as this is)?

UFS is refreshingly robust (at least in my experience) in
this regard, in that you may end up with a truncated (or
slightly mauled) file but never a corrupt filesystem.

Even kicking the power cord out only results in minor,
repairable corruption something like 30% of the time.

Again, in terms of personal experience I would suggest that
umount -f is shrug-inducingly "safe" at 3 or 4 nines of the time.