Is there a way to undelete?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jun 11 20:41:24 UTC 2007

On Jun 11, 2007, at 1:24 PM, Kyrre Nygård wrote:
> I'm just curious if there's a way to undo a rm -rf.

Yes.  Restore the deleted files from the backups you previously took.

> There has to be something eq[u]ivalent in FreeBSD to all those
> recovery tools?

Oh, there is.  There's the Coroner's toolkit here:

   http://www.porcupine.org/forensics/tct.html

...with unrm & lazarus utilities which are capable, in theory, of
undeleting rm'ed files.

This being said, because Unix systems involve many daemon processes
like syslog and cron and so forth which continue to write data to the
disks, it turns out to be relatively likely that files which are
deleted will get over-written more quickly than they would be in a
single-tasking or limited multi-tasking environment like DOS or early
flavors of Windows.

--
-Chuck